CAT exam dates are out! The exam is planned for 26 November 2023. The CAT aspirants must pace up their CAT preparations. Here is the updated and latest CAT syllabus 2023 which will help you structure your CAT preparation journey better. The article includes section-wise preparation tips along with the CAT syllabus.
CAT syllabus 2023
The CAT syllabus covers three sections: Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension (VARC), Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning (DILR), and Quantitative Aptitude (QA).
CAT Syllabus 2023: VARC (Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension)
The VARC section assesses the candidate’s ability to understand and interpret written material. It includes questions on a variety of topics, such as grammar, vocabulary, reading comprehension, and verbal reasoning.
Some of the important topics in VARC are:
- Grammar: Parts of speech, sentence structure, error identification, etc.
- Vocabulary: Word meaning, synonyms, antonyms, etc.
- Reading comprehension: Passages on a variety of topics, including fiction, nonfiction, and business.
- Verbal reasoning: Analogies, inferences, and other types of verbal reasoning questions.
CAT Syllabus 2023: DILR (Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning)
The DILR section assesses the candidate’s ability to interpret data and solve logical problems. It includes questions on a variety of topics, such as data sufficiency, tables, charts, graphs, and puzzles.
Some of the important topics in DILR are:
- Data sufficiency: Identifying the minimum number of data points needed to solve a problem.
- Tables: Interpreting data presented in tables.
- Charts: Interpreting data presented in charts.
- Graphs: Interpreting data presented in graphs.
- Puzzles: Solving logic puzzles.
CAT Syllabus 2023: QA (Quantitative Aptitude)
The QA section assesses the candidate’s mathematical ability. It includes questions on a variety of topics, such as arithmetic, algebra, geometry, and trigonometry.
Some of the important topics in QA are:
- Arithmetic: Numbers, operations, fractions, decimals, percentages, etc.
- Algebra: Equations, inequalities, functions, graphs, etc.
- Geometry: Shapes, lines, angles, etc.
- Trigonometry: Sine, cosine, tangent, etc.
The CAT syllabus is not exhaustive, and there may be questions on other topics as well. However, the topics listed above are the most important ones that candidates should focus on.
How to prepare for the CAT exam?
The CAT is a challenging exam, but it is possible to succeed with proper preparation. By studying the syllabus and practising the relevant concepts, candidates can increase their chances of getting a good score.
Preparation Tips to cover CAT syllabus VARC
- Read regularly. Reading as much as you can is the best approach to increase your reading comprehension abilities. Read books, newspapers, magazines, articles, etc. on a variety of topics. This will help you to build your vocabulary and improve your understanding of different types of writing.
- Expand your vocabulary. A strong vocabulary is crucial to get a good score in the VARC section. Make it a point to pick up a new word every day. You can use a dictionary, thesaurus, or online resources to find new words.
- Use a highlighter to mark important points in the passage. This will help you to keep track of the main ideas and to refer back to them as needed.
- Read the passage carefully and take your time to understand it. Don’t rush through it.
- Answer the questions based on the information in the passage. Don’t try to bring in any outside knowledge.
Preparation Tips to cover CAT syllabus for DILR
- Learn the basic concepts of data interpretation and logical reasoning. This includes understanding how to read and interpret tables, graphs, and charts, as well as how to apply logical reasoning to solve problems. There are many resources available online and in CAT preparation books that can help you learn these concepts.
- Start with the simpler questions first. You can get momentum and confidence as a result of this.
- Use a pencil and paper to do the rough work or calculations. This will help you to avoid making careless mistakes.
- Be careful not to make any assumptions. Read the questions carefully and make sure that you understand all of the information that is given.
Preparation Tips to cover CAT syllabus for QA
- Start with the basics. Make sure you have a strong foundation in the basic concepts of mathematics, such as arithmetic, algebra, geometry, and trigonometry. There are many resources available online and in CAT preparation books that can help you learn these concepts.
- Practice regularly. The best way to improve your mathematical skills is to practice solving problems regularly. There are many practice questions available online and in CAT preparation books. Practising solving QA questions will help you familiarize yourself with the types of questions that are asked and improve your speed and accuracy.
- Be patient. It takes time and effort to improve your mathematical skills. Don’t get discouraged if you don’t see results immediately. Just keep practising and you will eventually see improvement.
To know more preparation tips to effectively cover the CAT syllabus, read testimonials of CAT toppers and talk to people who have bagged seats at good business schools. In the end, don’t forget to stick to the practices that are fetching you good results and drop the ones that you feel are not working for you. The CAT journey is all about improving all levels.